Monday, December 17, 2012

Nana

This post has been a long time coming.  I have been waiting until I was in the right mood to write it.  I actually don't think I will ever be in the right mood so here it goes.  At the beginning of November I went down to Florida to visit my Nana who had broken her pelvis a few weeks earlier.  I wanted to get down there so I could see her and spend some quality time with her.  When I got there she was somewhat alert and responsive and definitely knew I was there.  My mom and Aunt were already down there and had been with there the last week or so.  We took turns spending the night in hospital with her and made sure she was being given the right meds at the right time.  Our goal was to make her comfortable and pain free while still alert and responsive.  It was a tough goal to meet!  By Sunday morning we realized that she was declining and probable not going to be with us much longer.  I had no idea the effects a broken pelvis/hip can have on an older person.  Their bodies are just too weak to deal with it and usually start to shut down.  Tuesday morning she was taken to her home to be cared for by hospice.  We were not sure how long she would be with us and I had already been gone from my family for 5 days.  I made the difficult choice to come home Tuesday evening, knowing it would be the last time I saw her.  She passed away Wednesday afternoon at 93 years old. She lived an incredible, long and healthy life.  She would drink wine with you and talk politics or other current events until the very end. I was so honored to help take care of her in her final days.  It brought me so much closer to her and created a special bond between us that will never be broken.  It was also the most difficult thing I have ever done since it was the first time I saw first hand the dying process.  She was an amazing grandma!  She was also fun, stylish, smart, caring and beautiful.  My entire family was able to fly in for the funeral a few days later.  We are all over the country and don't get to see each other often so it was pretty special.  She will be missed dearly but I know she is in a better place.  Here are some pictures of my beautiful Nana!
 At my wedding


 At Heather's wedding


 Nana and Campbell in deep conversation after Heather's wedding
 


 Mom, Nana and Heather


 Campbell, Ella and Nana on one of our trips to Naples


 
 She would sit on the beach with us and just watch the girls play for hours!


 Dinner with Nana at her club on the beach


 Ella sharing her snack with Nana


All of the cousins together for her funeral

No comments: