Whew...these last few weeks have been pretty exhausting around here. About two and a half weeks ago Ella started getting really fussy and not sleeping well. She was cutting her first two teeth and was having some constipation so I figured that was what was causing the fussiness. After a few days of lots of Tylenol, little sleep and no relief I took her to the Dr. He agreed that she was probably just having a lot of pain with her teething and gave me some ideas to help her with her constipation. Nothing worked and my sweet Ella was not getting any better. She went from one of the happiest babies in the world to fussy ALL the time and wanting to be held constantly. After another trip to the Dr. we decided to try giving her Motrin instead of Tylenol and started her on miralax (just like her sister) to help her with the constipation.
The weekend went by and she in my opinion was getting worse. On Monday morning she wouldn't nurse or take a bottle...I immediately made her another Dr. appointment and was determined to figure out what was wrong with my baby! I KNEW at this point that it had to be more than teething and constipation...there is no way that those two things could cause this much pain...she cried the entire way to the appointment. FYI...sometimes I forget she is in the car because she usually doesn't make a peep and just enjoys the ride. My mind started thinking of anything else that could be wrong...I decided that I was going to ask the Dr. to test her urine and blood. I thought maybe she could have a bladder infection or something...at this point I am desperate! So, as I begin to explain to the Dr. that nothing is helping and that she now won't eat, the tears start flowing. I totally became THAT MOM in the Dr.'s office that is crying. He agreed that it was a good idea to check her urine and blood, although he said he would be surprised if she had a bladder infection because she hasn't been running a fever. Now, in order to collect a urine sample from a baby they have to do a catheter...yes, a catheter on my sweet baby Ella! It was so sad to watch. Luckily it was a quick procedure and she got over it pretty quickly. Her blood results came back normal, but the urine test came back positive for a bladder infection. We couldn't believe it. He said that he's never seen a baby with a bladder infection that hasn't also had a fever. Poor thing has been in pain for weeks! I was so relieved to finally have an answer! So, after a finger prick, a catheter, and two shots of antibiotics we got to go home. Sweet Campbell did so good the whole time we were there. She kept asking me if baby Ella was ok...such a sweet, concerned older sister :)
So, that was Monday and here we are Friday and feeling great! She has been on oral antibiotics all week and is almost 100% back to normal. She wouldn't nurse or take a bottle all day Tuesday and most of Wednesday. So, needless to say my milk supply is all jacked up and we will probably we weaning onto bottles soon. I actually got her to take formula bottle from me yesterday, which was very exciting. She is now nursing about half of the time and taking a bottle the rest.
She has to have a couple of tests run on her to make sure she doesn't have something called vesicoureteral reflux (VUR), in which urine from the bladder backs up into the kidneys. She has an ultrasound on Monday and another test that involves another catheter that can't be done until she is done with her antibiotics. As far as I know, if she does have this VUR thing, it can be controlled with medication.
The weekend went by and she in my opinion was getting worse. On Monday morning she wouldn't nurse or take a bottle...I immediately made her another Dr. appointment and was determined to figure out what was wrong with my baby! I KNEW at this point that it had to be more than teething and constipation...there is no way that those two things could cause this much pain...she cried the entire way to the appointment. FYI...sometimes I forget she is in the car because she usually doesn't make a peep and just enjoys the ride. My mind started thinking of anything else that could be wrong...I decided that I was going to ask the Dr. to test her urine and blood. I thought maybe she could have a bladder infection or something...at this point I am desperate! So, as I begin to explain to the Dr. that nothing is helping and that she now won't eat, the tears start flowing. I totally became THAT MOM in the Dr.'s office that is crying. He agreed that it was a good idea to check her urine and blood, although he said he would be surprised if she had a bladder infection because she hasn't been running a fever. Now, in order to collect a urine sample from a baby they have to do a catheter...yes, a catheter on my sweet baby Ella! It was so sad to watch. Luckily it was a quick procedure and she got over it pretty quickly. Her blood results came back normal, but the urine test came back positive for a bladder infection. We couldn't believe it. He said that he's never seen a baby with a bladder infection that hasn't also had a fever. Poor thing has been in pain for weeks! I was so relieved to finally have an answer! So, after a finger prick, a catheter, and two shots of antibiotics we got to go home. Sweet Campbell did so good the whole time we were there. She kept asking me if baby Ella was ok...such a sweet, concerned older sister :)
So, that was Monday and here we are Friday and feeling great! She has been on oral antibiotics all week and is almost 100% back to normal. She wouldn't nurse or take a bottle all day Tuesday and most of Wednesday. So, needless to say my milk supply is all jacked up and we will probably we weaning onto bottles soon. I actually got her to take formula bottle from me yesterday, which was very exciting. She is now nursing about half of the time and taking a bottle the rest.
She has to have a couple of tests run on her to make sure she doesn't have something called vesicoureteral reflux (VUR), in which urine from the bladder backs up into the kidneys. She has an ultrasound on Monday and another test that involves another catheter that can't be done until she is done with her antibiotics. As far as I know, if she does have this VUR thing, it can be controlled with medication.
I am so glad that she is feeling better, eating better and sleeping better. She is back to smiling all of the time and being her happy normal self....yay!!!!!!
7 comments:
mommy's instincts!! what kind of formula are you using? Ben is having a hard time taking any formula. Poor thing- glad Ella is better!
I am so glad she is feeling better. It is that mother's intuition that always comes through! Way to go! I know it is torture not knowing what is wrong with your little one.
oh that breaks my heart.. so glad you all figured it out and she's feeling much better. you're such a good mommy
wow...poor thing. this whole time you knew something was wrong. youre a good momma!!!
awww friend i can just picture you crying in the doctor office! i totally understand how frustrating that feeling of helplessness is but i am so glad you trusted your instincts and glad little ella is feeling better!
poor baby, mommy knows best! So glad she is feeling better.
Do you read Marcy's blog? It's called Love is Golden on my blog if you want to look- anyways, her little girl just had this procedure done last week- you can read about it if you want!
Post a Comment